Saturday, July 2, 2011

Philly Trip/Certification Test/Wrap-up

Journal #18: June 30, 2011

Today, we traveled by SEPTA train into Center City Philadelphia to go to the Reading Terminal Market and the Gallery mall. The train ride itself was pretty uneventful –took Leon’s harness off and put it in the overhead thing and he laid down in my foot space. It took about an hour to get to Philadelphia from Thorndale Station. When we arrived, I dressed Leon and we drove my scooter off of the train.

The Reading Terminal Market was just as crazy as I remember it being. Food booths/vendors everywhere –lots of lights, huge crowds of people –very much overwhelming sensory-wise. But we did it—Leon handled all the craziness in his usual calm, steady manner –we got our lunch and sat at the table with 2 other friends –chatted so I wouldn’t focus on all the chaos around me. Then we got ice cream from another vendor and met the group outside to head to the mall.

The Gallery mall was an interesting place. Not a huge space floor area-wise, but tall –4 floors of stores –the bottom floor being the train station. We had been given a list of tasks to do at the mall:

1. You must use your dog to go up and down steps if you are able to walk.

2. You must use your dog and the door hook to open two doors. The dog must stay and hold the door for you while you go inside.

3. Your dog must retrieve at least six different things for you during today’s trip.

4. Your dog must carry two things for you while walking around today.

5. You must have your dog do at least two go pays.

6. If able, use your dog for a transfer or to help you out of a wheelchair or scooter.

7. Practice food refusal with your dog.

8. You must perform at least one sit stay and one down stay in places with distractions, with you at the end of your leash.

9. You must practice getting on and off an elevator at least two times each. Have your dog hit the button on the outside of the elevator for you.

10. Practice sit and down signals in areas with distractions with you at the end of your leash.

11. Practice a sit stay with a shopping cart going around your dog.

Leon and I did all of these things. It was funny, though, how one older lady could not seem to grasp that the dog would be opening the door and kept trying to open the door for us.

After our list was done, we met the group at the train platform for the ride home.

I am not sure if I am ready to attempt a trip like this by myself. While I regularly go into Houston alone, I do not usually go into such a hectic environment as the market we went to today –it is too much for me sensory-wise to handle for very long. But I do intend to ride the MetroRail with Leon in Houston when we return home –park downtown and take it to the Reliant Center to attend the Reliant dog show, most likely.

Journal #19: July 1, 2011

Leon and I took our Certification test today (the final exam to test us as a team before we are able to graduate from the program.) He did really well! He had some trouble with carrying the bag with the pretzel in it from Auntie Anne’s to the Subway inside Walmart to do the restaurant section of the test –he dropped it several times on the way. Otherwise, though, he was stellar! Controlled exit from the vehicle, entering the store, being circled by a shopping cart while in a sit-stay, having a clipboard dropped behind him, being petted by a stranger, being petted by a child, maneuvering through tight racks of clothes, going under the table at the Subway, etc. –he did them all expertly!:D

At the end, I heard those long-awaited words: “He’s all yours now. Congratulations.”

So Leon and I are now officially a service dog team! :D

.

Journal #20: July 2, 2011

The prompt in our team training manual for today’s journal entry is “Wow you’re done with team training. How does it feel?”

It feels a bit surreal. In 2 days, I am flying home to TX with my new Canine Partner. I really have a service dog again –a living, breathing extension of myself who will help me live more independently and with more quality.

I am excited to return home, but will miss having the structure and in-person support that I have here. Yes, the trainers/staff will always be available via phone or email, so that’s good –it’s just that now it is time for Leon and I to go fly on our own as a team.

I know we can do it! :D

Graduation is tomorrow (7/3/11) at Avondale Presbyterian Church in Avondale, PA if anyone in the area would like to attend. It starts at 2:30 pm.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to see pictures when you get home and get your cord! Remember, you always have SDC for support also!

    ReplyDelete