Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 5, Complete! :D

Journal #5: June 16, 2011

We had a pretty good day today. During our obedience exercises, Leon kept popping up out of his sit-stay (PopTart dog) and kept trying to lie down. But each time, I had him sit again. We will work some more on that. Overall, he did well –heeled nicely and has a great down-stay.

Leon did VERY well on helping up and down the set of stairs in the training barn that had no railing. He walked in heel and smoothly we walked up and down the stairs. He also performed the retrieval tasks as he should.

We learned the importance of play in our dogs' lives and also had a health care lecture about internal and external parasites and how to prevent them.

Leon was still nervous when I had him load up onto the counter next to the tub in the grooming room. He tried to go back down the steps several times. I gave him a treat for standing still while I groomed him --one treat for each side –and also a treat for standing still while I did the daily physical exam they taught us how to do today.

One concern I have about taking Leon home with me tomorrow is the fact that I am sleeping on an air mattress on the floor –down at his level. Will he let me sleep? Or will I get licked to death? I swear, that dog shoots out his tongue almost every time I lay a hand on him (and many times when I don’t.)

No comments:

Post a Comment