Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Darn Metal Lion!!

Journal #10: June 21, 2011

Today was a LONG day. The dog and I are both so wiped from Longwood Gardens that Leon didn’t even want to play with his tractor today –he just wanted to get some rest stretched out on the floor.

We started out our visit with pushing the automatic door button at the main doors and then doing a “go pay” at the special ticket counter for our group (we got a seriously big discount –our tickets cost only $2 each when they’re normally $18 for adults.) Next, we had to retrieve 3 items off the ground –one of them metal. Leon did wonderfully –except that he still seems to, at times, forget that he can hold onto an object and sit at the same time. We worked for a while on it and it’s getting better. J

Then, we took our individual team photos for our IDs. Leon quickly became tired of the photo shoot and plopped down on me (we were sitting on the ground for our photo.) One of the trainers caught it on her camera. We did finally get him sitting nicely and looking at the camera.

Next, we had another retrieval station. Leon retrieved a fork, a prong collar, a phone and a cup (with a reminder on a couple of them that he could sit without dropping it.) Then there was that darn so-and-so metal lion (this small bronze metal paperweight thing from the Lions Club --much like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Bronzed-Metal-LION-Statue-Lions-Intl-Figurine-/380212817035?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5886732c8b#ht_9455wt_932.) I got him to take it from my hand, hold it and then give it to me –but he would NOT retrieve it from the ground. After 20 minutes of trying, we decided to end on a good note, so I had him take it from my hand again, hold it and give it to me. One of the trainers, Deb, said we would DEFINITELY be seeing the metal lion again. Now I understand why so many recipients dislike the metal lion so much. I thought they were exaggerating because of how easily and readily Pebbles retrieved it when we went through team training –but, oh no, It is a difficult retrieve for many, many dogs/teams. I just got a lucky break with Pebbles. But Leon and I will do it! I know we can!

We walked around and I took photos of many beautiful flowers/plants –having Leon sit in front of several to pose for a photo. I can already tell he is not as much of a ham for the camera as Pebbles was. He grew quickly bored with the whole idea, but complied to humor me, I guess.

We took our team training class photo. Leon and I were sitting on the long cement bench (he had loaded up onto it.) While the other dogs were sitting next to their partners and (generally) looking at the camera, Leon plopped down with his head in my lap –he was so tired from the long day. I asked the photographer (Joan) afterward if it was okay that Leon was lying down –she said she would see how the photo turned out and then we would try again at the zoo if it didn’t look right.

Leon and Clover (my classmate Shannon’s service dog –she and her dad have begun helping me get where I need to go since I no longer have transportation) were both sacked out in the back of the SUV the entire way back to CPL –with Leon laying his head on Shannon’s pillow.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a typical boy - quickly tires of photo times! I'm glad things seem to be a bit better today, I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete