Monday, August 1, 2011

Not much to report

Been a unremarkable week for the most part.

We had our first meeting with the trainer we are working with. We worked on what is called "automatic attention" --where a distraction/sound/novel thing becomes the cue for the dog to look at me. So the trainer sat across the room and squeaked a toy --whenever Leon looked at me, I clicked and treated. The trainer also threw the toy so it landed near Leon --and I again clicked and treated for him looking at me.

She gave us that for homework to work on this week. We are meeting with her again this week at Lowe's --out of harness, no less (regular pets are allowed in this store) to work on this while "off-duty."

I had a visit with my ENT as well --and Leon did okay, but was sniffing more than I'd like. Again where the "automatic attention" will come in handy once it becomes more ingrained in his head. He did lie quietly during my examination, though.

At PT, he really knows the routine now. He goes straight to his spot and settles down for a nap while I do my exercises. Then we go over to the recumbent bike and he lies down for a snooze again.

A frustrating thing that happened this week: Leon started being afraid of his stainless steel food bowl --so we have been going back to basics and are at the stage where he is taking it from my hand, holding it and then giving it back to me at each mealtime.

A proud/good thing that happened this week: Leon is now loading up into the back seat very smoothly and quickly. I had to move him to the back seat instead of being in the cargo area like normal because I had to bring my scooter and it's in the cargo area. He had been hesitating to load up into the back seat because his packs kept hitting the door on the way in --but we worked on it and now he loads right up (found an angle where his packs don't hit the door.)

No comments:

Post a Comment